Friday, March 9, 2012

What To Say When You Talk To Yourself

Dr. Shad Helmstetter Ph.D. wrote a book called What To Say When You Talk To Yourself. It was his belief that we become what we think and tell ourselves. The book is revolutionary and there are quick and easy methods to stop unwanted thinking/behavior patterns. Our goal should be to “erase and replace” our negative thoughts with ones which will build our success.
The book is amazing, here’s a sneak peak into its contents. Imagine relying on yourself to optimize your outlook, focus your plans, and keep you on top, in touch, and going for it. Your can do it, by adopting the simple techniques of Self-Talk and understanding the power of key phrases like these:
• I choose my thoughts. No thought, at any time, can dwell in my mind without my permission
• I have talents, skills and abilities–and I’m discovering new talents all the time.
• I take time to listen and communicate. I’m patient and understanding, it’s worth working at, and I do.
• I focus my attention on the things I can control. If I can’t affect it or direct it–I accept it.
• I know what I believe in myself is what I will become–so I believe in the best for myself.
The five levels of self-talk are amazing! When you understand the definition of each level it will allow you to recognize what kind of thoughts you are having and how those can work for or against you. This will enable you to move onto higher level of self-talk which will lead you to a more effective and healthier mindset.

Level 1 – Negative Acceptance
The first level of self-talk represents everything from our simplest misgiving to our worst fears. It is when you hesitate, question your capabilities and accept less than you know you could have done if you had only tried. “I can’t” is a perfect example of this level of thinking.
Level 2 – Recognition and Need to Change
This level is characterized by words such as “I need to”, “I ought to” or “I should.” This type of self-talks works against you. It recognizes a problem but creates no solution. For instance, when you say to yourself or to someone else, “I really need to get more organized.” What you are really saying is, “I need to get more organized, but I am not.” When you make a statement like this, it is unconsciously embedded with an unspoken, but it is still a programmed, Level 1 statement of negative self-talk.
Level 3 – Decision to Change
Level 3 self-talk is the first level of self-talk that works for you instead of against you. You recognize the need to change but also you make the decision to do something about it. State a decision in the present tense, as though the change has already taken place. Level 3 is characterized by the phrases such, “I never” or “I no longer.”
Level 4 – The Better You
This is the most effective kind of self-talk. Your thoughts are painting a completely new picture of yourself; the way you really wanted to be. You direct your subconscious to forget all of the negative programming you gave it in the past. You tell yourself you are creating the person you know you can be. “I am organized” or “I eat and live a healthy lifestyle” are some examples of this level.
Level 5 – Universal Affirmation
This level of self-talk has been spoken for thousands of years. It is as old as the Ancient religions that inspired it. It is the self-talk of oneness with God. This level of self-talk speaks of a unity of spirit, a divine and timeless cosmic affinity that transcends all worldly thing and gives meaning to our being. It is the language of those who have conquered their ties to a life of earthbound demand, choose to seek their manifest place in something greater, something beyond the kin of most dwellers but within the reach of their unearthly dream. This level self-talk is characterized by phrases such as, “I am one with the universe and it is one with me.”
When you turn your self-limiting beliefs into challenges it’s not easy. However, once you identify these roadblocks, you find it easier to put your plan into action. Once you create a powerful image of what you want your future to look like, this will become your source of inspiration and motivation. Remember the subconscious is listening…

No comments:

Post a Comment