Friday, March 9, 2012

How Storytelling Effectively Markets Your Small Business

How important are small businesses to the U.S. economy? They have generated 64 percent of net new jobs over the past 15 years. However, some businesses struggle to effectively market themselves. I don’t really understand why. Marketing is storytelling and storytelling is one the most underutilized tool in marketing. Storytelling not only makes it easy for people to get to know, like and trust you... it also increases sales!
Then I think back to any speaker I heard at a seminar. What did I remember about the talk? Was it their theories? Their principles? I doubt it. Did I remember the stories the speakers told? The answer is a resounding YES!
...That's because good storytelling creates images in our minds that last for years... even decades.
I love social media, but I had to stop thinking of social media as Twitter, as blogging, and as Facebook. Those are social tools. Social media is about telling a story. It’s about me talking directly to my customers and telling them who I am. I want to tell you why I’m better and what I believe in so that you will remember me and feel connected to me. Every time you read an article posted on my blog I want you to be able to associate all the positive benefits of wealth, health and wisdom.
I’m always amazed at the stories companies are telling in social media. What’s your story? When did you join the marketplace? Who are you, what do you stand for, and how can you help me? Use social media to tell that story. Take advantage of a targeted, absolutely free way to market your business online. Here are some great examples.
• Grasshopper is a phone systems company that believes in entrepreneurs.
• Zappos is an online shoe retailer that cares about customer service and its employees.
• Dell is a technology provider that offers resources to small businesses.
If every picture tells a story here are the three essential elements that make up stories that persuade, captivate and sell:
1. Use the P.A.R. Formula
P.A.R. stands for Problem, Action, Results. First, state the problem you faced. What wasn't working and how did that feel? Second, tell what action you took. What was the epiphany that changed your life? What was your "ah-ha" moment? Finally, what was the result of the action you took? Be specific using numbers and real world results. Tell others how you feel now, so many things are have changed.
2. Paint a Picture
The most powerful stories cause the listener to see pictures in their mind's eye. Those pictures that burn in our memory and we are able to remember that story for years to come.
Pick a very specific moment in time that represents the pivotal moment of your story. Cut to the chase. Tell the story create the picture in YOUR mind's eye and pick just a couple details to tell them, just enough to paint the picture. Let the listener complete the picture in THEIR minds. That's your goal.
3. Have Your Story Teach a Principle
This is the big marketing secret few use... tell a story that also teaches a core idea behind your service, product or program. Nobody likes to be lectured to... so don't do it! But we all love good storytelling.
The story you tell should be interesting AND educational. Example: share step by step how to use direct response marketing. (moving a stranger to a friend, a friend to client and a client to a champion.)
Even though your story won’t be identical to mine I can see my own picture... and I’m more likely to remember the principle behind the story: storytelling sells! We both share a moment in time... and that’s the connection between you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment